Alice in wonderland

I grew up spending most of my time watching animals in care and watching Animal Planet & Discovery, daydreaming about working with scientists and appearing in such shows. Remembering myself pointing out these shows and telling my parents” You will watch me there, one day” and remember them laughing. That’s how my journey started. 

As being born and brought up in the tropical islands of Andaman and Nicobar Islands, it’s obvious I would be a lover of nature and wildlife. But what really gave me assurance about my passion was my little interaction with wild animals like elephants, spotted deer, and birds; because of my dad who works in the forest department, and whenever they bring wounded animals into care. He would take me with him to have a look. Usually, it would be elephants who get caught in traps and get infected. There I used to help feed them and spend time with them. I had no idea what these jobs were or how I’d get there. All I knew at that time was I love animals.

I started out without guidance. Figuring everything out was a slow, frustrating process of trial and error. Eventually, fascinated by animal behavior and driven by a curiosity for wildlife, I landed in zoology honors during my graduation. But I wasn’t sure this would be my best decision. Living on small islands limited my choice of study. Small area with less possibility and less opportunity. 

On a visit to my grandma's place, for the first time, I met researchers and scientists, who actually work as how I used to watch on the TV. Out of interest and curiosity, I asked one of the scientists “What should I study after my Bachelor’s to work like you?”. That’s when I realized what to do and where to search. While studying for my Master's, I learnt there was more to gain in this field. As planned, for my Master's dissertation, I got to work with the same scientists to whom I asked the questions years back. I’m glad that I got to work and study on cave features found in limestone caves of Baratang Island, Andaman and Nicobar Islands. Well, it was a whole new journey in my life. And caves were a fresh point to learn.

But working in the wild is not as easy as it looks. Out there in the wild, the biggest challenge is the unpredictability of the wild- things don’t always turn out as planned due to circumstances beyond your control. And working in caves gives unexpected challenges. Rough terrains, slippery paths, narrow passages and yes, darkness. It challenges your physical ability and mental steadiness. From entrance to deep inside the cave, nothing is the same. It keeps you surprised. Challenges come not only from the wild but from people too. Working alone as a woman in a group of men, society questions your decision for choosing your career. But it didn’t stop me. Instead, these kinds of experiences have made me patient, stronger and more accepting. It was hard but this journey has allowed me to make incredible and supportive friends who made this easier. And obviously because of supportive parents who believed in my decision and my work.

Caves are nature’s unpredictable and incredible formations. There were so many different kinds of features which I saw for the first time in my life. The limestone deposits inside these caves amazed me. These features are the results of years of the process of deposition. These all features are beautifully sculpted and incredible in themselves. Seeing it all, we can say that nature is the best artist.

Limestone caves have always been a part of tourist attractions. While studying all these features in different caves, I felt that one particular cave, which is open to tourists, has lost its actual shine. It may be because of regular visits of tourists and disturbance. Also, I realized that cave dwellers like bats and birds had reduced their visits to this cave. It felt like it has lost its liveliness. It has become just a mere showpiece. These formations take years to form. Every living being needs space, to flourish and grow, just like humans.

People need to understand that, knowingly or unknowingly, we are disturbing the natural habitat of caves. I wish for people to understand the real essence of the wild. Spend as much time as possible with nature. Never forget the power of observation, and the importance of taking time to sit, watch, listen and learn. Whether in a cave, rainforest, or in your backyard. Everything is beautiful. Only if there is love, appreciation, and respect for nature and wildlife among people. Would we feel the need to protect her?



Miss. Shweta Kullu working in the limestone caves of the Andaman Islands

write to her at shwetakullu5@gmail.com






Comments

Popular Posts